Saturday, December 12, 2009

Sorry about the delay ...

it's been a tough week. It seems like I keep coming on here and whining about my life and that is so not what I want to use this blog for. Bear with me while I get this off my chest and then I'll be done once and for all (I hope ... LOL).
As mentioned a few months ago, we lost our mother this summer. Dad had been her caretaker through her battle with cancer and focused solely on her health. As is quite usual in these cases, his health consequently suffered a great deal, but was not noticed until her passing. In October we brought my father down south to stay with us while he was being evaluated for experimental heart surgery in Toronto. He was ultimately accepted and decided to move into a retirement home nearby "TEMPORARILY" ( his words, lol) until the surgery and then for his recuperation.
Unfortunately, he didn't make it to his unscheduled surgery date. While fighting to the end, he passed away on Monday morning. This week has obviously been an ordeal. My sister and her family will be heading back up north now that the weather is finally co-operating (we've had a horrible storm most of this week, as has most of the rest of the province). I'll be cleaning up this weekend and back to work on Monday morning. I try not to inject my personal life much here but I would like to pay tribute to my parents by showing you a picture that I cherish so much now. This was taken Mother's Day when my dh and I surprised my mother by making a day trip up north for brunch.

Thank you all for bearing with me!

NOW ON TO OUR REGULARILY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING ...

Here is the picture of my hybrid MDS card when finished.



I'll be back in a day or two with more MDS creations ... I love this programme!
(don't forget that you can click on the picture for a larger picture)

3 comments:

Laura said...

Karen, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's wonderful that you took the opportunity to take that last photo and you have it to cherish. God bless you.

Deb said...

Karen,I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. This is such a lovely photo you've shared with us.
Reading your post brings back such memories for me, I can't believe how similar our stories are. :-)
We too lost our Mom to cancer five years ago this past summer. My Dad was also her caregiver and focused soley on her health, making her last few months bearable. In late November of the same year he underwent an emergency operation for a aneurysm but he did not make it.

I was very close to my parents, as were my children & husband and it was just devastating to lose them so close together.

My thoughts and prayers are with you right now, I know how hard this is for you, especially so close to Christmas. I wish I had some magic words to share to make you feel better but I don't. :-) Time does help heal and make it a bit easier; the beauty of life is that eventually the pain will fade but the memories will always remain strong. And the tears of today will eventually turn from tears of grief to tears of rememberance of the happy times you had together.

Take care of yourself. :-)
Debbie

Mel O'Donnell said...

Karen, please accept my condolences. Losing one parent is devastating, but losing both - I just can't imagine your sorrow. Please know that I do care and I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers over this season. God bless you for sharing your blog with us.
Mel